Wednesday, June 23, 2004

A DAY TO REMEMBER AND FORGET(HOW DO I DO BOTH


Its been a week since i posted.Though i did make an attempt to blog this wednesday i didnt do it due to my stupidity.I hadtype out everything and suddenly the system crashed.Dejavu.hmm.All the text was gone.This week I was also busy with work and
I was applying for an MS in an reputed institute.Me applying to that university made me think of the day my US visa was rejected.Its so clear in my mind.That day was the day my life could have been changed or rather it has changed.I had applied for MS in US and got selected in a few universities.And I had my visa interview scheduled for around 8.30 in the morning.I went into the heavily guarded US visa office in chennai.After passing through all the initial checks and paying my fees i gave my passport and application to the processing person i got the first shock of the morning.I had not taken appropriately
sized photograph.The guy handling the application said that he will defer my interview by an hour and i could get my photograph during the same.I went out and was immediately mobbed like a star by parents of other students asking me whether i had got a visa.I had to shove them around and i just went to meet my dad who was waiting for me at the other end.I told him the situation and suddenly a person appeared from no where saying he will help me out by showing the way to studio.He did indeed and for that i had to pay fifty bucks to him and them photographer took 200 bucks for just 4 photographs.I thought how
one person's misery is an opportunity for another person.
After doing all this i went back to the consulate and went to attend the interview.I noticed how the buildings were arranged.All the americans were in a building that very deep inside the campus.Security precautions !! I thought.Then i went
into a big office where i had the worst nightmare of my life.All the candidates were seperated into some 6 lines.There were around three hundred people in that room waiting for their turn.I thought what was i doing there.You just have to be there to believe it.Every body was shouting at the top of their voice giving justification why they should be given a visa.For a guy who had never ever attended any interview this was the rude shock of the life,having an interview with people watching.May be this was true for others also.My turn came and I said something ,which was disturbed by the guy in the next queue shouting that his dad had paddy fields and the turn over was some zillion tonnes,i think the visa would not even heard beyond the thick glass door he was standing behind.He immediately stamped rejected and gave it back.I tried to explain him something ,but even before i could start he beckoned me too leave.That was the end of my tryst with destiny.I came out and went home with my dad(who was secretly relieved that his son was not going to leave the country).Suddenly i thought why was i upset ,just because some john doe rejected me.I had no reason to be angry or happy.I had given my best try to study in a foreign country and if they dont want me well and good.I am not gonna beg them around for a visa.I know you might not agree with this and you might say that it is a case of fox and the sour grapes,so be it.
Ultimately I got rejected in my first interview which started a series of trials and tribulations which nearly went on for a year,bu thats fodder for some other days blog.

1 comment:

Just Me said...

Heard this one about why the Sardarji's visa was rejected:

Well, in the form, he entered:
Last name: n/a
Middle name: n/a
First name: Joginder Singh

Nevertheless, this man did 'manage' to land up in the States, and happened to be enjoying himself on the beach in sunny California.. when some FIBBIES finally caught up with him..

To confirm his identity, they asked him.. "Hi Dude... Are you relax-ing ?"
Pat came the reply, "No. I am Joginder Singh".