Monday, June 14, 2004

A Dull and dreary weekend comes to an unusual end.

This weekend was what I wished it would not be.All my friends had left the town and I was left alone I thought i would spend my time with the computer.but as soon as i switched it on the power went off.I had nothing to kill my time;I took my guitar and started strumming Fmajor while trying to sing police's dont stand so close to me.As it eventually happened i got so bored with it ,I shelved the guitar and was going to lock my room when that book suddenly caught my sight.I went near it and took it and started reading it.It was a old book with dog ears and many pages missing in the started.I had a sense of dejavu .I remembered the first time I had read the book,it is still fresh in my memory.My mind drifted ten years back when I read it sitting in the middle of a paddy field in my native place.I could suddenly hear all the ladies working in the field and my apathy towards them during that time.There is a saying "Good listeners are always thinking of something else while listening".My mind had subconsciously registered all those and was playing it for me again.
Before going any further I would like to state what the book was.The book was a collection of five russian short stories
1)Nikolai gogol's the overcoat
2)Ivan Turgenev's Mumu
3)Leo tolstoy's After the dance
4)Alexander kubrin 's Garnet bracelet
5)Anton segev's Lady with the dog

When I try to juxtapose my emotions then and now ,I find it totally contrasting and yet coming together.May be people dont change after all.If i want to say the brief outline of the plots,then i may be stealing your pleasure.so read it on your own. I will dwell on garnet bracelet by alexander kubrin.This story of unsolicited love had moved me to tears when i had read it first when i was not even a adolescent is making me sad when i can call myself an adult.The power of words have to be experienced to be believed.The protogonist Zheltkov is madly in love a young aristocrat lady Vera ,but he is unable to bring himself to propose to her or rather identify himself.He writes her letters always to which she of course never replies.Vera gets married and still zheltkov is not able to forget her.He is a very decent person who doesnt want her to get hurt for anything,she is the sole purpose of his living.on her birthday he sends her a garnet bracelet.But vera thinks enough is enough and requests her husband ,a very gentle to person,to put an end to it.He meets zheltkov.Zheltkov says only death will put an end to his and their suffering for he cannot stop loving vera.After her husband leaves ,he commits suicide .In his final letter he asks vera to listen to a particular beethoven sympony.(L van Beethoven .Son No 2 op 2 Largo Appassionato).Vera visits his home to see his body and suddenly she feels something.She cannot recognise whether it is love.She feels as though a love that comes once in a 1000 years has passed her by.She listens to the sympony and starts crying.I am producing the lyrics here.Just place yourself in her position and read it.


I shall now show you in tender sounds a life that meekly and joyfully doomed itself to torture, suffering, and death. I knew nothing like complaint, reproach, or the pain of love scorned. To you I pray: 'Hallowed be thy name.'
"Yes, I foresee suffering, blood, and death. And I think that it is hard for the body to part with the soul, but' I give you praise, beautiful one, passionate praise, and a gentle love. 'Hallowed be thy name.'
"I recall your every step, every smile, every look, the sound of your footsteps. My last memories are enwrapped in sweet sadness-in gentle, beautiful sadness. But I shall cause you no sorrow. I shall go alone, silently, for such is the will of God and fate. 'Hallowed be thy name.'
"In my sorrowful dying hour I pray to you alone. Life might have been beautiful for me too. Do not murmur, my poor heart, do not. In my soul I call death, but my heart is full of praise for you: 'Hallowed be thy name.'
"You do not know-neither you nor those around you -how beautiful you are. The clock is striking. It is time. And, dying, in the mournful hour of parting with life I still sing-glory to you.
"Here it comes, all-subduing death, but I say - glory to you!'


the last stanza
"Be at peace, my dearest, be at peace. Do you remember me? Do you? You are my last, my only love. Be at peace, I am with you. Think of me, and I shall be with you, because you and I loved each other only an instant, but for ever. Do you remember me? Do you? Here, I can feel your tears. Be at peace. Sleep is so sweet, so sweet to me."

gives her a satisfaction that zheltkov has forgiven her.

Though i may have paraphrased it inappropriately.I think this would convey human emotion of love which cannot be fathomed.I closed the book and promised myself not to read it again,because it brings so much sorrow.But I think that is the hallmark of a true classic.So the weekend which seemed dull and dreary after all had something in store.

1 comment:

Just Me said...

I'll add to that list of things that one should never do when lonely:

1. Visiting the beach. Sounds weird. But I've noticed that one can spend an entire day looking at the waves come and go, and get nothing out of it. I mean, you want to get over that sickening feeling right (C'mon man, you only live once). So why the beach ?
2. Drink.
3. Smoke. These two only add to the misery of it all.

I guess that sums it up.